Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mountain bike season is here!

Emma, Erin, Eric and Eli getting ready for their first taste of a
Smithsonian Institute at the Museum of National History
 I haven't been much for posting recently, but since my last update I managed to qualify for Boston and finish second in my first mountain bike race of the year. At the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach I posted a 3:06:43 marathon time with a 7:08 pace. Things were going really well up until about 18 miles when I started to fade a bit. They kept talking about the tailwind on the return loop, but the trees and buildings put a stop to that ever materializing! The next day we were able to have a fantastic time in downtown Washington D.C. and although we tried to do it all, there is still a lot left to do for follow on trips to the capital!
Minutes after finishing up
my first official marathon,
felt good to be done and
was over much quicker than
your standard ultra!

Next, I was able to scoop up a 2nd place finish at the Wilson Lake Fat Tire Festival in the Marathon category. After five laps and and well over three hours of cranking through the red rock and sand I missed first place by under a minute! That's alright, it was a good start to my mountain bike racing season and next up is Dirty Little Secret at Fancy Creek. Congratulations to the guys at Big Poppi Bicycle Company for winning their bid to host the state championship this year! I hope that I'm successful in defending my title this year in the twisty switchback cedar forests and many rock gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment